Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Importance of the Psalms; an expansion of a letter from my brother Corey, to his friend Nick

I thought I would expand on something Corey wrote to Nick a couple months ago. Here goes...


Corey: "Sometimes we overlook the Psalms... but they are important...Many times we overlook the psalms of David and his music men, thinking that they are not as important as the deep theology of Romans or the overview of many points of the Christian faith laid out in John. But if you think of the little Bibles handed out to new or unbelievers, they contain the New Testament and, out of all the Old Testament, Psalms and Proverbs. Because Psalms is so long we might start out really thinking about the passages but towards the end we start skimming or not paying as much attention to what the verses are saying. The truth is, Psalms is like essential oils. Essential oils are supposed to be good for almost any sickness or disease. The difference between the two is that Psalms is good for any condition: depression, joy, temptation, you name it. Psalms talks about Christ’s coming and His death and though it was written thousands of years ago, still seems like they were written today to address or at least state the feelings of modern people. So far I’ve only talked about the goodness of the Psalms. What I really wanted to do in this letter though was to encourage you to make the Psalms part of your daily Bible study. Read the Psalms, meditate on the Psalms, and believe the Psalms. May they bring you joy and refreshment in such abundance that you are never without a Christ-like attitude and encouraging word. God Bless!"


As my brother said, Psalms is extremely important. In fact, out of all the books Jesus quoted, He quoted Psalms the most. There are treasure troves of scriptural truths in Psalms. For example, from the Psalms, we can learn the following about the whole Word of God:
  • The word helps us not to sin; Psalms 119:11: Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.
  • The word gives us understanding; Psalms 119:104-105: Through Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.
  • The word brings us joy; Jeremiah 15:16: Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart.
The word is almighty, as is God. The word endures, despite innumerable attempts to destroy it. The word is, as God is. It will not fail with God's power.


The Word is! That is something to tell your friends and neighbors!



Casey

2 comments: